Sudan's new military ruler vows to form civilian government in 2 years

Sudan's new military ruler vows to form civilian government in 2 years

Kerry Wise
April 15, 2019

Sudanese protest organisers, meanwhile, presented demands including creation of a civilian government in talks with the country's new military rulers late on Saturday, the group leading demonstrations said.

CAIRO-Sudanese political parties and movements behind almost four months of anti-government protests met with the country's military on Saturday, activists and the military said, holding the first talks since the army forced President Omar al-Bashir from power two days ago.

The new head of Sudan's military council said on Saturday a civilian government would be formed after consultations with the opposition and promised the transition period would last for a maximum of two years.

On Saturday, the military council's new chief General Burhan vowed to dismantle Bashir's regime, lifting a night-time curfew with immediate effect.

This comes as the new military council leader Lt. Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan lifted the curfew put in place by the old council, promising to bring in reforms across Sudan in his public address on Saturday.

He praised Sudan's large protest movement, saying, "We applaud this revolutionary discipline and awareness and ask them to come together to enforce the slogans of the revolution, "Freedom, Peace, Justice".

Sudan's foreign ministry on Sunday urged the worldwide community to support the country's new military rulers in order to ease a "democratic transition".

TRT World's Arabella Munro reports.

The military ended al-Bashir's almost 30-year reign and placed him under house arrest in the capital.

The police said that 16 people had been killed in live fire in Khartoum alone over the previous two days as NISS agents led a desperate last stand for Bashir before the army intervened.

In a related development, Sudan's foreign ministry urged the worldwide community to back the country's new military rulers to help "democratic transition".

Burhan named as the council's deputy Mohammad Hamdan Daglo, who is also known as Himeidti, field commander of the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) counter-insurgency unit, which rights groups have accused of abuses in war-torn Darfur.

TRT World's Natasha Hussein reports.

Child pushed from third floor of Mall of America, suspect in custody
Police learned at that time he had an existing trespass notice prohibiting him from the Mall until July of 2016. He said a thorough investigation will be conducted to find out the motive for the incident.

Celebrations erupted on the streets of Khartoum overnight after Ibn Auf's resignation.

Defence Minister Awad Ibn Auf announced his decision on state TV.

A former military intelligence chief, Ibn Ouf remains under USA sanctions for his role in the regime' s brutal response to a 2003 ethnic minority rebellion in Darfur region.

Bashir, 75, who ruled over 30 years, took power in a coup in 1989. The military announced Sunday that ibn Ouf had retired.

"The Sudanese Professionals Association calls on its supporters to continue with the sit-in until the revolution achieves its demands".

The council chief Gen. Abdel Fattah Burhan was "committed to having a complete civilian government and the role of the council will be to maintain the sovereignty of the country", the ministry said.

But outside the Middle East, the formation of a military government to replace Mr Al Bashir has been criticised.

Both nations have said they will send aid packages to Sudan in the wake of Bashir's toppling. They said a handover to civilian rule would be the "first step toward the fall of the regime".

"We need to see a swift move to an inclusive, representative, civilian leadership", said Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt.

Saudi Arabia has extended support to the military council and is sending aid including petroleum products, wheat and medicine, its Foreign Ministry said in a statement.

It is time for the Transitional Military Council and all other parties to enter into an inclusive dialogue to affect a transition to civilian rule.

On Sunday night, the council announced the appointment of Lieutenant General Abu Baker Mustafa as the new head of NISS in a televised announcement in which it also announced the sacking of Khartoum's envoy to Washington.