PM statement on the New Zealand attack: 15 March 2019

PM statement on the New Zealand attack: 15 March 2019

Kerry Wise
March 17, 2019

Handcuffed and wearing a white prison suit, Tarrant did not speak.

Brenton Harrison Tarrant has not applied for bail or for the suppression of his name.

It was "reasonable to assume" Tarrant would face further murder charges, Judge Kellar said.

"I have asked our agencies this morning to work swiftly on assessing whether there was any activity on social media or otherwise, that should have triggered a response". In gruesome video footage, which The Post is not publishing, the attacker approaches the entrance to the mosque and raises his weapon.

Armed police following a shooting at the Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, March 15, 2019.

A video that was apparently livestreamed by the shooter shows the attack in horrifying detail.

"There is a prime suspect and perpetrator of this attack but the police are ensuring that they include an investigation to give assurance that there are no ongoing threats to the people of Christchurch or New Zealand", she said.

Two semi-automatic weapons, reportedly AR-15s, two shotguns and a lever-action gun were used in the attacks.

The floral tributes grow on Deans Avenue near the Al Noor Mosque as locals pay tribute to those who were killed March 16 in Christchurch, New Zealand. All the weapons were legally obtained.

"I can tell you one thing right now, our gun laws will change", Ardern told reporters.

"This is not the New Zealand they know", she said.

There was a heavy police presence at the hospital where families of the more than 40 wounded had gathered.

Ardern said 39 people remained in hospital, of whom 11 were in intensive care. Funerals were planned on Saturday for some of the victims, several of whom were born overseas.

During the same years, Christchurch lost 20,000 people from its population - residents who no longer saw a future for themselves in the city.

Indonesia town cheers as woman in North Korea murder case is freed
The decision came as a surprise to many, including Siti Aisyah herself, and kicked off a dramatic day at the Shah Alam High Court. Siti Aisyah will leave for Indonesia on Monday, said the country's ambassador to Malaysia, Rusdi Kirana, The Guardian reported .

"This is an attack on the entire community".

Tarrant is believed to be the author of a 74-age manifesto posted online before the attacks occurred.

"I was running and there was a guy [who] said there was a shooting in the mosque so I was running, while I was running there was a lady being shot", he said. I think it's a small group of people that have very, very serious problems.

The Crusaders are the defending champions in Super Rugby, a competition that involves teams from New Zealand, Australia, South Africa, Japan and Argentina.

At Christchurch hospital, where many members of the Muslim community spent Saturday waiting for news of loved ones, members of the public turned up offering vehicle lifts around town, food parcels and hot drinks, or just a friendly face to talk too.

Dr. Sinan Yasalar, media relations director for the Windsor Islamic Association, said the targeted attacks on Muslims in the west have taken their toll on the community.

Political across Asia and the Middle East voiced concern over the targeting of Muslims.

The massacre was described as an "act of terror brought to our shores and rained down upon us" by New Zealand Prime Minister Ardern, as the Australian gunman fronted court over the attack.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said the events in Christchurch represented "an extraordinary and unprecedented act of violence", and that numerous victims could be migrants or refugees.

"He had a big gun.He came and started shooting everyone in the mosque, everywhere", said the man, Ahmad Al-Mahmoud.

The Bulgarian government has also said it was looking into Tarrant, who apparently visited the country late past year, as well as having earlier travelled to other parts of the Balkans - including Serbia, Croatia, Montenegro and Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Facebook said, that having been alerted by police, it had deleted the gunman's accounts "shortly after the livestream commenced".

Twitter and Google, which owns YouTube, say they're working to remove any video of the shootings from their sites, as well.

Police said the alleged shooter took seven minutes to travel to the second mosque in the suburb of Linwood, where seven people were killed. "This is your home and you should have been safe here" the caption read. Another showed a pair of figures, one in a headscarf, embracing.