AT&T pulls ads from YouTube over pedophile concerns

AT&T pulls ads from YouTube over pedophile concerns

Troy Powers
February 25, 2019

That content creator is Matt Watson, also known as MattsWhatItIs, who posted a video of his finds on Sunday. While YouTube repeatedly claims that objectionable material like conspiracy videos represent well under 1% of its overall content, that would still represent millions of videos.

The suicide instructions are sandwiched between clips from the popular Nintendo game Splatoon and delivered by a man speaking in front of what appears to be a green screen - an apparent effort to have him blend in with the rest of the animated video. Others are uploaded from accounts that seem to collect videos of minors.

According to Wired, some of the children appear to be as young as five.

Additionally, DeFranco stated that YouTube is prioritizing disabling comments over demonetizing videos.

Those content streams are filled with lechery: for example, a timestamp on one comment about "she'll make a great mother some day" jumps to a picture of a child's bare legs.

Comments on the videos time-stamp moments where the children's bodies are exposed in some way or where children do something that commenters consider sexually suggestive.

Watson found that child oglers are sharing their social media contact details in the comments.

Nestle, Disney, AT&T, Hasbro and the creator of Fortnite have all reportedly pulled advertisements from Youtube following allegations of child abuse content being on the platform.

Vancouver measles outbreak sending unvaccinated youth to doctors for shots
Unvaccinated children aged 5 and below are at highest risk of the disease, Health Undersecretary Eric Domingo earlier said. Its complications include severe diarrhea, pneumonia, blindness, and even death, according to the DOH.

But last week, just a month later, the company once again boycotted YouTube amid a new scandal.

Any content - including comments - that endangers minors is abhorrent and we have clear policies prohibiting this on YouTube.

Yesterday, Jessica Ballinger discovered that her recent videos were being demonetised by YouTube.

"With regard to the actions that we've taken, even if your video is suitable for advertisers, inappropriate comments could result in your video receiving limited or no ads", Team YouTube wrote. The brands released strongly worded statements, and YouTube scrambled to assure its clients it was fixing the problem.

According to Bloomberg, all Nestle companies in the US have paused advertising on YouTube, a spokeswoman for the company said Wednesday in an email.

At YouTube's scale, is this even fixable? "How easy it is now to wreck a YouTuber's career, just leave insults on their videos and THEY get punished for it!" noted rapper Dan Bull.

This purge of comments and channel terminations follows after a USA man, called Matt Watson, uploaded a video titled YouTube Is Facilitating the Sexual Exploitation of Children, and it's Being Monetised (2019) which caused a huge backlash from YouTuber Keem Star who shared his thoughts on his channel DramaAlert.

In January, YouTube announced a change to its content-recommendations system aimed at reducing the recommendation of "borderline content and content that could misinform users in harmful ways".