2 bound bodies found in NYC were missing Virginia sisters

2 bound bodies found in NYC were missing Virginia sisters

Kerry Wise
November 1, 2018

Almost a week after two Fairfax County sisters were found dead along a riverbank in New York City, mystery still surrounds their deaths.

Rotana Farea, 22, and her 16-year-old sister Tala were found dead - their bodies bound together by duct tape - on the riverbank of New York's Upper West Side neighborhood last week.

AP had previously reported that "The mother told detectives the day before the bodies were discovered, she received a call from an official at the Saudi Arabian Embassy, ordering the family to leave the U.S. because her daughters had applied for political asylum, NY police said Tuesday".

The elder of the two sisters whose bodies washed up along the Hudson River was an engineering student at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, DailyMail.com can reveal.

There were no obvious signs of trauma to their bodies, police have said. She later said she hadn't seen either girl since then. The youngest, Tala, was last seen in August according to a post on the website of the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children.

Mystery continues to surround how the bodies of Rotana Farea, 22, (left) and her 16-year-old sister, Tala Farea (right) washed up along the Hudson River last week.

Winning ticket in $2.45 billion U.S. lottery
Leading up to Tuesday's drawing , the buzz surrounding the Mega Millions and Powerball drawings was high. People had been lining up at service stations and stores nationwide for a chance to win the huge prize.

She then called off the search after learning Tala was with Rotana in NY. That office also noted that it had "appointed an attorney to follow the case closely".

Anyone with information about the Farea sisters is urged to call the New York City Police Department's Crime Stoppers hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS. The lack of obvious trauma appeared to rule out a theory they may have jumped into the river from the George Washington Bridge.

In a statement made public by members of the victims' family on Sunday, "they denied claims that the two sisters had been missing for two months".

The family, originally from Jeddah, had not experienced any major familial troubles, a relative told Saudi newspaper Arab News, dismissing reports they may had taken their own lives.

"The embassy of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia in Washington, D.C. has reached out to the citizens' family and extended its support and aid in this trying time", the statement said.