Mysterious 'Chemical Haze' on UK Coast Hospitalizes 150

Mysterious 'Chemical Haze' on UK Coast Hospitalizes 150

Kerry Wise
August 29, 2017

They warned people in the area to keep doors and windows closed.

Sussex Police issued a warning on Sunday following reports of up to 150 people suffering eye and throat irritation from a mysterious haze suspected to come from a chemical leak.

In a statement, Sussex Police said the haze appeared to be coming in from the sea, adding that it had yet to establish the source.

Mr Crickmore said a "foggy haze rolled in out of nowhere" and there was a "strong smell of chlorine in the air".

Eastbourne Hospital had queues of people outside it earlier and People are urged not to go to hospital unless an absolute emergency.

However, East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service has advised that it is "extremely unlikely" that it was chlorine, as had been suggested on social media.

Beachgoers had been hit by the haze which drifted in from the sea in the late afternoon and left them with sore and running eyes, a difficulty in breathing and in some cases, made them vomit.

Mattis: US considering sending weapons to Ukraine
The U.S. has sent $750 million in non-lethal aid to Ukraine since 2015, reports Reuters . Poroshenko said he was "satisfied" with actions and negotiations made in Kiev Thursday.

Police were searching today for the source of a toxic gas cloud that forced evacuations along the East Sussex coast over the bank holiday weekend.

"After doubling back inland, around 4.30 we dropped down into Birling Gap, where immediately our eyes started stinging and streaming".

Sameer Jadhav tweeted: Birling Gap some weird gas leak.

The appearance of the cloud of gas was treated as a "chemical incident".

No further reports of the gas were received after mid-evening. The cloud had mostly dissipated by Monday morning, and authorities were treating it as an isolated incident.

It is believed that it came in from the sea, but this has not been confirmed and work continues to locate the cause.

The hospital initially said it had treated 233 people, but later revised the number to 133.