Ex-congressman Anthony Weiner to plead guilty in sexing case

Ex-congressman Anthony Weiner to plead guilty in sexing case

Blake Casey
May 19, 2017

Former U.S. Congressman Anthony Weiner was expected to plead guilty in federal court in NY on Friday, months after U.S. prosecutors opened an investigation into his alleged "sexting" with a 15-year-old North Carolina girl that eventually played a role in the U.S. presidential election.

A law enforcement official says former U.S. Rep. Anthony Weiner has agreed to plead guilty to a charge of transferring obscene material to a minor.

The official wasn't authorized to speak about the plea bargain because the criminal charges had yet to be filed publicly with the court and spoke to The Associated Press on condition of anonymity. "Weiner's conduct was not only reprehensible, but a federal crime, one for which he is now convicted and will be sentenced".

Download our Expert Edition e-book, Cyber: Continuous Diagnostics and Mitigation.

The Democratic former congressman apologized to the 15-year-old, saying, "I have a sickness, but I do not have an excuse".

An investigation was launched last September into reports that Weiner had been sending sexually explicit messages to a 15-year-old girl in North Carolina, The Times reported. That eventually led authorities to confiscate Abedin and Weiner's personal electronics, which then led to former FBI director James Comey re-opening an investigation into Hillary Clinton's misuse of private email just days before the November presidential election. "Based on our review, we have not changed our conclusions" not to recommend criminal charges against Clinton, Comey wrote. But Clinton partly blamed her election loss to Republican Donald Trump on Comey's announcement.

Champions League would be start of something big for Liverpool, says Wijnaldum
We always had to manage the intensity with him, did it and then in the game he actually didn't really feel it. We wanted to put in the same performance like against Spurs [a 1-0 win], but we didn't".

Federal prosecutors had been weighing whether to file child pornography charges against the disgraced ex-Democratic congressman since last year, sources previously told NBC 4 NY.

Weiner's lawyer, Arlo Devlin Brown, didn't immediately return a message Friday.

Weiner left Congress in June 2011 when sexually-charged, sometimes explicit, texts with women other than his wife first emerged.

He ran for New York City mayor in 2013 and was leading several polls until it was revealed he had continued his questionable behaviour.

His failed mayoral bid is the subject of the documentary "Weiner".